Kathryn Tomaeno, LCSW
Individuals · Couples · Young Adults · Adults · Older Adults
Licensed Clinical Social Worker
License No: LCS 13775
About My Practice
The discomfort of facing life's challenges may set off an impulse to hide. We may turn our backs on ourselves through isolation, sleep, or running away into busyness or substances to take our minds off "the problem." Yet these discomforts are quite often our body’s way of trying to get our attention, telling us that it’s time to look at something we have put away for too long and that is now ready to come into the light. Like martial artists, our movement toward the thing we fear allows the energy to shift and lighten.
As a licensed therapist who has also trained in Rosen Method bodywork, I am interested in bringing attention to the mind/body connection. I believe that when we drop into deepened awareness, we can hear these messages more clearly, access our greater wisdom, and experience powerful transformation.
Therapy provides a safe, quiet, nonjudgmental space in which we can look together at what is happening in your life right now and at the experiences that shaped the present, and find new ways to encourage change. I work with each person intuitively, from where they are in the moment. You may find that the simple act of being listened to opens the door to meaning. Or you may feel called to access meaning through body awareness, meditation, or guided visualization, allowing insight to emerge with openhearted acceptance.
Please call my office to learn more about how we can begin working together.
- Supporting people in their journey to heal depression, anxiety, grief and loss, early trauma and abuse, and sexual identity issues.
- Providing a safe, nonjudgmental space for individuals and couples to work through relationship and intimacy issues.
- Empowering women to rediscover or cultivate self-acceptance, authenticity, and trust in their intuition
- Exploring the body/mind connection through a holistic approach that may incorporate relaxation, breathing, guided imagery, brief meditation, and the integration of spirituality into daily life
- Helping parents to discover and work with triggered responses that may be getting in the way of being truly present with their child. Offering support to lesbian, gay and straight parents
- M.S.W. from the University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1984
- B.S.W. from Edgewood College, Madison, WI, 1981.
Experience / Training:
Over 25 years in private psychotherapy practice; certification in Rosen Method bodywork; ongoing participation in Improvisational Movement and Process Oriented Psychology and Hand in Hand Parenting.
Professional Affiliations / Activities
- National Association of Social Workers
- Rosen Method Professional Association
- Faculty, Sunray Meditation Society
Kathryn Tomaeno, LCSW
- (510) 433-9934
Albany, CA 94706