Michael Korson, LMFT
Individuals · Couples · Families · Groups · Adolescents · Young Adults · Adults
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
License No: MFC 38340
About My Practice
Psychotherapy can be a powerful tool for positive change. At the heart of this work is the relationship the client and the therapist create together. This relationship, based on trust, provides the foundation for healing and reengaging with life.
While my approach is always based on the unique needs of my clients, the foundation of the work remains the same: I listen deeply and engage actively in the process of thinking together about the distressing issues that bring people to therapy for help. Together, we examine the past to gain insight into the origins of unwanted patterns, and work with current issues to begin making real changes.
A fundamental goal of therapy is to develop more coLMFTsion for oneself. The more we fight against ourselves, the more stuck we feel. The more we can accept ourselves as we are, the more we can become who we truly want to be. Whether you have had psychotherapy in the past, or are new to the process, you can begin working now to make the changes in your life that you desire.
The experience of being really listened to is intrinsically healing. The act of being witnessed as you share your life with another person is powerful. Please call or visit my website to learn more about how we can work together.
- Helping individuals struggling with depression, anxiety, and other acute conditions learn to better manage their symptoms and live more fulfilling lives; and facilitating psychotherapy groups (currently offering "Living with Depression" for those dealing with issues of depression).
- Working with couples (both straight and gay) to resolve problems in their relationship, improve communication, and foster greater intimacy.
- Working with people of diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, and ethnicities.
- Working with men on issues of intimacy, career, and family.
- Supporting those engaged in life transitions (career, marriage, divorce, moves) to successfully navigate those changes.
- Helping those people who have had therapy before to finally make the changes in their lives they desire.
- M.A. in Counseling Psychology from California Institute of Integral Studies at San Francisco, 1997
Experience / Training:
15 years clinical experience including private practice, school counselor, community counseling centers. Additional training in crisis intervention and suicide prevention. Certified Group Psychotherapist.
Professional Affiliations / Activities
- California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- San Francisco Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- American Group Psychotherapy Association
- Northern California Group Psychotherapy Society