John Bogardus, M.S.W.
Individuals · Couples · Young Adults · Adults
Licensed Clinical Social Worker
License No: LCS 10050
About My Practice
The men and women I work with in my practice seek psychotherapy for many reasons: They are tired of having the same old fight with their partner. They feel trapped in a job that once seemed perfect. A supposed friend suddenly betrayed their trust, leaving them shaken. They find themselves worrying all the time and can’t seem to stop. They feel confused and overwhelmed and they’re ready for things to change.
My clients are talented, intelligent, and well-educated people who feel they are not living up to their potential in work or relationships. They can’t seem to get out from under self-defeating attitudes and behaviors, which may include alcohol and substance abuse. They would like to discover what has been preventing them from living authentically and creatively, and get on with enjoying their lives.
In therapy, we begin making sense of behavior and feelings that "don't add up." We talk together to understand how a feeling, symptom, or situation has come to exist — a simple act that can open opportunities for discovering new solutions where none seemed possible.
My style with clients is warm and interactive. I have worked successfully with both individuals and couples, both gay and straight, to integrate a sense of accomplishment. I invite you to my website to learn more about my practice.
- Transforming self-defeating behaviors and attitudes, fear of failure and fear of success, and negative self-esteem issues that interfere with achieving life goals
- Exploring and working to resolve issues of depression, anxiety, guilt, and trauma
- Learning to build intimate relationships, and exploring relationship problems with family or friends
- Supporting your recovery from alcohol or drug abuse, and with issues affecting Adult Children of Alcoholics
- Discovering what is blocking you from living a more creative, authentic life
- M.S.W. from Smith College School for Social Work at Northampton, MA, 1980
Experience / Training:
Many years clinical experience in private practice and community mental health settings; many years postgraduate research studying effective psychotherapy; former NAADAC certified Substance Abuse Professional
Professional Affiliations / Activities
- Supervising Therapist for The San Francisco Psychotherapy Research Group Training Center and Clinic
- Former Clinical Faculty for The Wright Institute and U.C.S.F./Mt Zion Hospital
- San Francisco Psychotherapy Research Group, member
- National Association of Social Workers, member